Athletes tell me they want to feel motivated to keep going for their goals.
I ask them what motivation feels like to them. When did they last feel motivated?
When they start to internalize what motivation even means, they get stuck. They say, “I don’t know.” Well, what is it that you want motivation for? They say, “I don’t really know.”
Here is what I want you to know about motivation:
- You have to know what you want before you can generate motivation for that thing. If you don’t have a good reason to generate motivation, then your brain will give you lots of great reasons not to generate it.
- Motivation doesn’t feel good! Motivation is not an emotion that an athlete seeks when they just want to feel good enough or happy.
- Motivation is created by focusing on thoughts such as:
- “I am committed to this result no matter how long it takes or hard it’s going to be.”
- “I will do this thing no matter what.”
- “I am the kind of person who doesn’t quit until I accomplish the thing I set out to do.”
- “I CHOOSE to. Period.”
- Motivation comes from using your agency to choose to do something, not because you really want to.
If you understand what motivation is and what it is not, then will see why you often times don’t feel motivated. If you don’t have a great reason to create motivation, then your lower brain will work overtime to be sure you conserve that energy for something more enjoyable, like sleep, tv or food instead.
When you think you should be an athlete that wants to wake up to work out at 5:00am every morning, but doesnt, then don’t beat yourself up. You are totally normal. Nothing is wrong with you. You just have a perfect brain protecting you from using energy is a way that feel uncomfortable.
Don’t work to create motivation until you know what you really want. Once you know what you really want and why you really want it, then motivation will come much more easily. You will find energy reserves are available to you in plenty and you won’t hesitate to use your energy to keep moving towards those worthwhile goals.
You can do anything you want. You just have to know if you really want it.
Don’t worry. You got this. Energy is in limitless supply. Dreams are also in limitless supply. The two go hand in hand.
Dream, believe, desire, and motivation will be there waiting for you at all times.
Be Flippin’ Awesome!
Mental Strength & Confidence Coach
If you are ready to generate more motivation and stay committed to your goals especially when you don’t “feel like it”, then go to FlippinAwesomeCoaching.com and join our group of athletes on the virtual calls where we learn how to apply these tools and Be Flippin’ Awesome in and out of sports.